12.08.2005

Weekend Wire III

Wow. Only about 4 feet of snow fell since my last report. What a weekend it was no matter where you skied – well, Saturday for that matter. Lets get right to it.

I’ll get this out of the way first… try not to ski when there’s 40mph gusts… That was all day on Sunday. Ug. Talk about cold.

Saturday on the other hand was one of the better powder days I’ve skied at Winter Park. 2’-3’ stashes were to be had everywhere. It was just about enough snow to ski before it becomes too insanely deep. See, when skiing at Winter Park, once snow gets past say 3’, you’ll need the black diamond runs in order to gain enough speed. With all the cat tracks and crappy flats, navigation on the other hand is tricky with deep snow.

Well, the day started waiting in line at the C-lift promptly at 8:25am – enough for about the 30th chair. From there, I poked around on a few runs just off the C-chair until they really started to get tracked out a very short time later and the lift lines weren’t getting any shorter. I wasn’t too happy about that…. Heck with you MJ; I went over to the Winter Park side. Good decision. The Eskimo Lift family of bump runs was practically untouched at 10pm. This includes Reta’s, Outrigger, Bradley’s and Balch (especially the trees in between Reta and Rigger, shhhhhhh).













I skied these few runs along with my usual weekly Jabberwocky run most of the late morning and past lunch. Then, my legs about shut down on my around 2pm – I was toast. Time for some tail-gating in the C-lot.

Sunday on the other hand was a nightmare. Yes, there was plenty of left-over used powder to ski but the wind and cold weather made the morning useless for my tired ski legs. Talk about ice cube feet…I had to take a break around 10am in order to gain some circulation back in my toes so I could make a damn ski turn without performing a total yard-sale. I took a nice hour break in the lodge with many other people with similar issues as mine. Yea, I don’t work well with high wind gusts that create a minus 30 wind chill. I was in my car by noon and outta there.

Anyways. Here are a few photos from the best pow day before Xmas that I ever experienced.

Looking downhill on Trestle



























US40... main road into WP.














Well, all in all it was a great weekend, though, I forgot about a very important rule that I now live by: winter park mountain is always over looked on a powder day… see you there next time…

Sorry for the late post…

One more of my ride after getting her pushed out of the drive way.

No comments: